Cambridge & District Snooker League -
Administrator - Tony Carr | |
League Tables | Fixtures & Results | Player Rankings | Player Stats (All Seasons) | Highest Breaks | Breaks (All Divisions & Cups) | Breaks (All Seasons) | Head to Head | Clubs | Pictures | Roll of Honour | News | Forum | Documents | Rules | Search | Subscribe
Cups NCI Centenary Cup | The Cambridge Daily News Cup | Tony Mitchell Cup |
The above took place at Cambridge Snooker Centre at 7.30 pm and was attended by the Chairman, Vice Chairman, General Secretary, delegates for Bottisham, Sawston, CWMC and 5 players. Apologies were received from Tony Carr, Andy Plumb, Colin Denny Jamie Sanderson and Russell Huxter.
The minutes of the last meeting dated 11th March 2019 had been circulated and were approved.
In the absence of The Treasurer the General Secretary reported on his behalf that the League had income for the period of £647 and expenditure of £35.32 leaving our bank balances at £1448.19. We have no debtors but a fine of £25 will lay dormant as the club concerned are not entering a team in our League this season. A donation of £175 was given to our League by a generous member as he felt that our Handbook should continue and this should preserve it for at least a further 5 years.
The General Secretary reported on the sad passing away of Ted Newton who for many years had been an important part of our League both as a player and acting as General Secretary from 1982-2000 even after falling ill he was always available to give us help and guidance, we held a short silence in his memory and a donation was sent to The Kidney Trust. The efforts to secure multi sponsors or a single sponsor had floundered so we are left facing another season without one, but efforts will continue. Cambridge sent 2 three man Billiards teams to Kings Lynn to play in the Eastern Counties Billiards League Championships, the first team were runners up on countback the second team propped up the second division, all players paid their own entry fees so as not to be a burden on the finances of the League.
In the absence of the Record Secretary the General Secretary reported on his behalf. The Billiards League had received 8 entries (now 7) and his proposal was for One Division to be played on a handicapped basis to commence on Tuesday 24th September and stop for Xmas on Tuesday 17th December they will start again on Tuesday 7th January 2020 and finish on Tuesday 14th April 2020.At Snooker 26 entries have been received and it was proposed that three divisions be formed giving 8 in 1 and 9 in the other 2, the delegates present voted in favour of an 8,8,and 10 format as this would give less free weeks . Following the meeting the R.S. pointed out that this would have the adverse effect and make the season longer and also affect promotion and relegation issues, all club delegates were subsequently canvassed for their opinion and agreed with the Record Secretary’s original proposal. The Snooker League will now start on Thursday/Friday 10th/11th October and cease for Xmas on the5th/6th December and recommence on the 9th/10th January 2020 and finish on the 26th/27th March 2020.Please check the website as these dates may vary depending on which Division you are playing in. When the League gets underway delegates will be sent individual entry forms for all Cup competitions. A calendar of dates and events will also be produced and sent to all.
In AOB the question of the £25 fine for non-attendance of our AGM was challenged as it was felt did nothing for the promotion of our sport it was pointed out that any change requires a proposal for consideration at our AGM but if abolished would probably mean that the League would probably cease to function democratically without the support of its clubs and delegates. The structure and the way we finance The Bert Charge Memorial Billiards Trophy was questioned, following an explanation by the General Secretary all seem happy that it was not a burden on the finances of the League.
A new Rulebook was published by the WPBSA on the 12/8/19 a copy of which can be downloaded from their website. There is also an explanatory document explaining the key changes to the rules, there is one new rule the others are updates and clarifications. The main ones we should be aware of are: - Section 3 Rule 14 Foul and a Miss. There is a more detail explanation in the rules but simply: - At the snookers required stage a miss can now be called when the scores are level or become level as a result of a foul. In Section 2 Rule 19 Push Stroke has been clarified and reads as follows: - A push stroke is made when the tip of the cue remains in contact with the cue ball. (A) After the cue ball has commenced its motion other than momentarily at the point of contact or (B) As the cue ball contacts an object ball except, where the cue ball and object ball are almost touching, it shall not be deemed a push stroke if the cue ball hits a very fine edge of the object ball. The Push Stroke rule applies to both Snooker and Billiards.
Meeting Closed 8.35pm
Next Meeting: - A date will be set when it is known that all the Officers are available.
The Bert Charge Memorial Billiards Trophy was scheduled for the 6th October 2019 but has now been postponed until later in the season.
Peter L Johnson
Hon General Secretary
Cambridge & District Billiards and Snooker League.
The above took place on Monday 10th June 2019 8.0pm at Cambridge Snooker Centre and was attended by The Chairman Vice Chairman General Secretary Treasurer 9 Delegates and 9 players. Apologies were received from Tony Carr (Record Secretary) and 3 clubs failed to attend who were fined in accordance with our rules.
Minutes of the 2018 AGM were accepted as a true record there were no matters arising.
The General Secretary welcomed Mick White in his first season as Chairman which provided its challenges with no Sponsor and the problems in Snookers first division. He thanked our Trophy Suppliers Curry’s who in conjunction with Tony Carr helped reduce our trophy bill and to Marion Burling for keeping costs down in producing our handbook. Most agreed that we should continue with our handbook as it is a history of our League and John Benson offered to Sponsor its printing for the next 5 years to the sum of £175.00.He again confirmed that coaching can be arranged by contacting any League Officer. Apart from the issues already referred to both the Snooker and Billiards Leagues progressed well and finished within a reasonable time frame, and next season we will produce a League Events Calendar. He thanked all for supporting and playing in our League and asked for a bigger effort to attend our quarterly meetings.
The General Secretary also reported on County activities and was pleased to report that we had won The Norfolk County Challenge Billiards Cup beating 6 other teams. We competed in other events without any success.
The Treasurer distributed our Profit and Loss Account which showed that our Bank Accounts stand at £836.01 with no Debtors and thanked Tony and Peter for their cost cutting measures. He did not propose any increase in fees but this may need to happen in the future if a sponsor cannot be found. He reiterated that all entries must be sent to him with the correct payments, no other officer has the authority to accept entries.
In his absence The General Secretary delivered the Record Secretary’s report which highlighted the need for a sponsor as cost cutting is not a thing that we can continue to do. A results sheet for all events was distributed and he also highlighted that the League finished early and saw no reason why this could not happen again in the future. With our stricter approach to enforcing the rules he said that any team having fixture problems should contact him at their earliest opportunity for help and advice. He praised the Captains and players for their support for promptly sending in the results and asked if there may be an alternative to the record cards which cost around £300.00 per run. He emphasised that the What’s App Group is only to be used for what it is intended and anybody found using it for bad language or the criticism of individuals may find themselves removed from the group. The league entry forms for the coming season will be sent via email during the next few days the competition entry forms will be sent once the season gets under way.
The Officers and Auditors were elected on block, it was agreed that we didn’t need a President and nobody volunteered to become a Press Officer. A proposal by Mick White and seconded by Bob Burling for the Honoraria to be as follows £500 Record Secretary £500 General Secretary and £250 Treasurer was subject to an amendment by John Benson and seconded by Wayne Foblets for £300 Record Secretary £500 General Secretary and £300 Treasurer, the amendment was carried by 8 votes to 0.
The snooker rule change to Rule 10 proposed by Tony Carr was seconded by Russell Huxter and was carried by 7 votes to 3. The change to NCI rule 2proposed by Tony Carr was seconded by Charlie Scroggie and carried by 7 votes to 0.An addition to the Billiards League rules by Phil Mumford received no seconder.
In AOB Jason Duce asked if a team was entered from Ramsey would it be accepted into our League as nobody voiced any objections all agreed it would. Probably the most important issue for our League is that of Sponsorship and the Chairman asked if anybody had any ideas or knew anybody who would, the General Secretary said that he had already done some work on multi sponsorship in much the same way as the Pool League operates, if 10 Sponsors could be found at £75 each this would bridge the gap left by the loss of Sponsorship. Bob Burling said he will ask his wife if she would be able to set up the art work which would not only include a fixtures list but an events Calendar. All agreed that this is the way forward unless somebody comes along with a big cheque.
The Bert Charge Memorial Billiards Trophy which had to be postponed will be rescheduled probably during September 2019.
Meeting Closed 9.10pm
First Quarterly Delegate Meeting 19th.August 2019 7.30pm @ Cambridge SC
Next AGM Monday 8th June 2020.
Peter L Johnson
Hon. General Secretary
Tonight saw the League's presentation evening and the playing of two finals the first being the 27th final of the Tony Mitchell cup which was contested between Steve Wright from Bluntisham 2 v Scott Reynolds from Cambridge Working Men's club, the first frame was taken by Steve who looked solid in the balls Scott took the the next two frames the later with a good lead throughout. The next frame which was to be the last was by far the longest frame and by the time the colours were reached Scott was leading by 29 leaving Steve needing snookers the frame then became very cagey with Steve getting snookers he required by the time they got to brown either player could still win the frame Scott then snookered Steve behind the pink and blue together with leaving the white in the jaws of the pocket angling Steve leaving him no shot on the brown he gave away two fouls down to the blue and pink Scott still needed both and eventually Steve made a mistake leaving Scott to pot blue and pink for the match.

In the Cambridge Evening News Cup defending champion Finley Laing from Cambridge Working Men's Club took on the 4 times previous winner Phil Mumford from Cambridge SC, Finley took the first with a 40 odd break and looked comfortable at the table, Phil took the second and started to pot some excellent balls throughout the match both players seemed to struggle with the pace of the table at times running out of position on numerous occasions. The third frame proved to be crucial with both players still being able to win with just blue pink and black left after some safety it was Finley who made the mistake to let Phil in for the frame. Phil took the next after the break and then again in what was to be the last of the evening both players could win with again just blue pink and black on the table, safety again was the order of the day until eventually Phil took the blue to level the scores Finley then potted pink and was unlucky to not finish better on the black after a couple more shots the black was potted by Phil to become the winner for the 5th time.

After the finals trophies were presented to all the league winners and runners up with an excellent attendance of teams that won trophies, Peter Johnson very kindly did buffet food which was served in the bar after.

The League would like to thank Mick White and Peter Johnson for ref/marking duties in the Tony Mitchell and to Gary Norman Ron Agnew for the same in The Cambridge Evening News Cup and finally to Phil at Cambridge SC for the tables and use of the club for an enjoyable evening.

MONDAY 11th MARCH 2019
The above was held at Histon British Legion at 7.30pm and was attended by The Chairman, Treasurer, Record Secretary, General Secretary and the delegates for Bottisham, Cambridge SC and Salisbury Club. There were no apologies for absence.
The Treasurer advised that we had income for the period of £723.49 and no expenditure leaving our bank account at £2145.76, debtors stand at £582 but are under control. He highlighted that due to the loss of our Sponsorship we will have to tighten our belts for this season until we can find another, some suggestions put forward were that the Bert Charge will have to stand on its own two feet, reduce trophy expenditure to no more than £500. Next season could see an increase in individual entry fees but Tom Craske is exploring the introduction of Plate Competitions in both the Captain Taylor and Tony Mitchell for first round losers which will give better value to players.
The Record Secretary reported that he had no outstanding matches so we can now consider setting dates and venues for finals etc which will be listed at the end of the minutes.
In AOB The Delegate for Bottisham asked for a breach of rules to be discussed concerning a League Billiards match, a robust conversation took place after which the Chairman called for a vote, all voted in favour for the result to stand there was one abstention. The Record Secretary brought up the shortfalls of Snooker Rule 10 which again caused robust conversation without reaching a conclusion but will be carefully monitored and no doubt discussed further.
Listed below are the dates and venues provisionally booked for our finals and start dates for competions. THESE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BUT YOU WILL BE KEPT INFORMED
5th April Tony Mitchell Semis at Whittlesford.
5th April Captain Taylor Semis at Newnham
12th April both Finals at Cambridge SC
18th April Start of NCI Cup.

3rd April Muratti Semis at Newnham
10th April Tony French Semis at Cambridge SC
17th April both Finals at Cambridge SC.
23rd April Start of Ranjitsinhji Bowl.

Meeting Closed 9.30pm
Next Meeting:- ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING Monday 10th June 2019 at Cambridge SC 8pm

Peter L Johnson
Hon. General Secretary.
The above was held at Cambridge SC at 7.30pm and was attended by The Chairman, Treasurer, General Secretary and the delegates for Arrington and Bottisham. Apologies were received from Tony Carr.
Treasurer reported that we had income of £166 and expenditure of £312.10 leaving our bank balances at £1422.27. The Debtors stand at £729 they will be chased by the Officers. As there were very few entries for the Cup Competitions it was decided to extend the closing date from the 30/11/18 until the 31/12/18 but must emphasise that any entries not received with full payment by this new date will not be accepted.
In the absence of the Record Secretary the General Secretary reported that in the first Division for Snooker 147 Huntingdon and Cambridge SC 2 have been withdrawn their results will be deleted from the records. Cambridge SC Gunz will continue as they now feel that they now found enough players. A request from Bluntisham for Dom Cooney from 147 Huntingdon to join them was agreed but only eligible to play in Division 1. The sending in of match results on the evening of the match is good as it helps keep the records up to date in a timely manner. All were happy with the way we distribute all Entry Forms. We are also talking to our website operator to ensure we are not in breach on any Data Protection issues.
The General Secretary reported that we had sent 2 Billiards Teams to Nuneaton to play in the EABA County Cup they performed very well against strong opposition without taking any major honours.
It was brought to our attention that some clubs are not abiding by our rules to ensure that all players are bona fide members of their respective clubs, this is a club issue and the responsibility of the Delegate and Captain to check, any breach may result in the game being declared void.
A request from a club for previous winners of the Tony Mitchell Cup to be allowed to enter again was discussed at length and agreed that this had some merit but nothing could be done to change it this season as it requires a rule change which can only be agreed at our AGM when all delegates are in attendance.
This season we are without a Sponsor so we will have to watch the budget but the Officers are trying to find a new one, and ask all delegates if they are aware of anyone who can sponsor us to contact a League Officer.
We are in the process of finalising a League Calendar of events during the next few days which will be distributed to all.
Meeting Closed 9.15pm
Next Meeting Monday March 11th 2019
Peter L Johnson Hon. General Secretary